Grilled Cheese sandwiches with Apple, Prosciutto, and Honey Roasted Pecan Spread
makes two sandwiches
Fresh multigrain bread, four slices
eight slices of paper thin prosciutto
thinly sliced Romano cheese
thinly sliced Gouda cheese
for the pecan spread:
1/3 c. honey roasted pecans
1 t. fresh lemon juice
3 T. grated Romano cheese
1/8 t. ground ginger
1/8 t. garlic powder
3 T. olive oil
sprinkle of salt
1) Make the Pecan Spread by first chopping the pecans in a food processor. Then add the Romano cheese, ginger, garlic powder, and salt to the processor. Blend. Add the lemon juice and blend. Add the olive oil and blend well.
2) Spread pecan mixture generously over two slices of bread. Arrange a layer of interspersed pieces of Romano and Gouda cheese. Put a layer of sliced apples over that. Then a layer of prosciutto. Put another layer of bread on top. There should be two sandwiches.
3) Melt 1/4 T. butter in a frying pan over med/med low heat. When pan is hot put one sandwich in pan and press/cover sandwich with a dinner plate. Hold down for a few minutes, then flip the sandwich and repeat. Flip and repeat this process twice more (both sides are grilled twice).
4) Either serve that sandwich immediately, cut in half, or put it in an oven preheated at a low temp to keep warm while you make the other sandwich by repeating number three.
5) Serve and enjoy. Note: the cheese may not be melted all the way-- that's okay it's really good anyway.