Faster and Healthier "Oeufs"
I had spent the night out with friends and had a bit too much to drink and had been in a smoky place all night, I hadn't had much sleep and I woke up hungry without wanting anything crunchy (too much noise!). I thought of my "Oeufs" recipe and wanted to make it but I didn't have any cream, herbed cheese, or tomatoes. Not that i wanted anything that rich anyway. So I made myself and mild, healthy version of "Oeufs" with what i had and it turned out to be a different, calmer, and yummy alternative:
(in each ramekin)
1/2 T butter
2 T soy milk
sprinkling of nutmeg and ground ginger
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Put ramekins in a deep pan, then fill pan with water so it is 1/4 of an inch or a little more from the top of the ramekins. Bring water to a simmer.
3. Place 3/4s of the 1/2 T of butter in the each ramekin. Add 1 T. soy milk. Sprinkle with nutmeg and ground ginger to taste.
4. After about five or 6 minutes add the other tablespoon of soy milk and the last quarter of the butter.
5. Place the whole pan in the pre-heated oven for nine to ten minutes (Julia says less but I like to know my eggs are done). Be careful not to slosh the water into the ramekins.
6. Remove from oven, place ramekins on individual dishes and serve with fresh bread.