Friday, August 17, 2007

Fresh Summer Vegetable Tortellini




Day 3, Dog Sitting, Lunch:

Okay I cheated. Just a little! And only kind of. There weren't any veggies in the house, but I had noticed on my recent trip to get gas that there is a farm with a stand right down the road. So this morning I went and spent a whole fifty cents on these babies:



At first they didn't have any summer squash so they went and picked some right off the vine for me!

And that's not really cheating it, is it? Fifty cents?

All the rest of the ingredients were things they had here. And I'm glad I got the veggies too, because my lunch was great.

Serves 1

Ingredients:

1/4 small onion, diced
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 small tomato, chopped, seeds taken out
1/3 c. coarsely grated light green summer squash
1/4 c. coarsely grated bright orange summer squash

1 1/2 T olive oil

salt
dill

3/4 c. small frozen cheese tortellini


  1. Heat olive oil in a frying pan over med-low to low heat. Start bringing some water to a boil.


  2. When oil heats up first add onions and garlic. Let cook for about one minute.


  3. Add squash first, stirring for about thirty seconds, then tomatoes. Add salt to flavor and a pinch of dill. Let cook, gently, until onions are translucent.


  4. When the water comes to a boil add the tortellini and cook according to directions. (I would use fresh tortellini here normally but the frozen were surprisingly good). Do not wait for the tortellini to cook to take the veggies off heat. Take them off the heat when the onions are cooked.


  5. When tortellini are done, drain them and add them to the pan with the veggies, tossing them all together for about a minute over low heat.


  6. Transfer to a bowl and enjoy.

**I'm trying something different today and letting the people at Presto Pasta Night know about my recipe. You can check out Presto Pasta Nights here

2 comments:

Ruth Daniels said...

Lunch looks delicious. I'll be adding it to the presto pasta roundup.

abby said...

fabulous colours zooey!