Thursday, August 16, 2007

Hummingbird Waffles


Day 2, Dog-Sitting, Brunch:

Outside the window of the the room where I'm using the computer there is a butterfly feeder that as far as I have seen serves only hornets. Until this morning. When out of the corner of my eye I saw something bigger and I turned really fast and saw a little hummingbird who was there just for an instant and then zipped away into the trees. I felt as if I'd seen a fairy. I didn't even think we had hummingbirds around here. Now I'm hyper-sensitive, keeping an eye out for another one and consequently have seen every wasp and fly that has come near the baubled thing.

After that odd and unexpected event I wanted something sweet for breakfast, something nectar-ish, with a Puckish combination of "what the hell?!" ingredients that would nonetheless taste good together.

serves 1

Ingredients:

1/4 small onion, sliced
1T olive oil
1T butter
1/2 t sugar

1 plum, cheeked
1/2 banana, sliced

1/3 c. mango juice*

1 T. cream cheese
1 t. vidalia onion dressing

1 frozen waffle

*Apple and Eve Mango Passion

  1. Heat butter and olive oil in a small non-stick sauce pan over med-low heat. Add onion and sugar. Stir occasionally until onions are caramelized.
  2. Remove onions from saucepan with slotted spoon. Keep liquid in saucepan. Add plum cheeks, flesh side down to sauce pan. Remove after a minute or two. Set aside.
  3. Add banana slices to sauce pan. Let brown on one side, then flip. Let brown on other side, then remove and set aside.
  4. Put mango juice in sauce pan and turn heat up to medium. Mix the contents of the saucepan together, let reduce down to a syrup. Should take about five minutes.
  5. While this is happening, mix cream cheese with vidalia dressing. Also toast waffle.
  6. Put waffle on plate, spread with flavored cream cheese. Pour syrup over. Top with caramelized onions, bananas, and extra syrup. Serve with the cheeked plums.

No comments: