Day 2, Dog-Sitting, Brunch:
Outside the window of the the room where I'm using the computer there is a butterfly feeder that as far as I have seen serves only hornets. Until this morning. When out of the corner of my eye I saw something bigger and I turned really fast and saw a little hummingbird who was there just for an instant and then zipped away into the trees. I felt as if I'd seen a fairy. I didn't even think we had hummingbirds around here. Now I'm hyper-sensitive, keeping an eye out for another one and consequently have seen every wasp and fly that has come near the baubled thing.
After that odd and unexpected event I wanted something sweet for breakfast, something nectar-ish, with a Puckish combination of "what the hell?!" ingredients that would nonetheless taste good together.
1/4 small onion, sliced
1T olive oil
1/2 t sugar
1 plum, cheeked
1/2 banana, sliced
1/3 c. mango juice*
1 T. cream cheese
1 t. vidalia onion dressing
1 frozen waffle
*Apple and Eve Mango Passion
- Heat butter and olive oil in a small non-stick sauce pan over med-low heat. Add onion and sugar. Stir occasionally until onions are caramelized.
- Remove onions from saucepan with slotted spoon. Keep liquid in saucepan. Add plum cheeks, flesh side down to sauce pan. Remove after a minute or two. Set aside.
- Add banana slices to sauce pan. Let brown on one side, then flip. Let brown on other side, then remove and set aside.
- Put mango juice in sauce pan and turn heat up to medium. Mix the contents of the saucepan together, let reduce down to a syrup. Should take about five minutes.
- While this is happening, mix cream cheese with vidalia dressing. Also toast waffle.
- Put waffle on plate, spread with flavored cream cheese. Pour syrup over. Top with caramelized onions, bananas, and extra syrup. Serve with the cheeked plums.