Friday, August 24, 2007

Penne with Fresh Pesto, Ricotta, and Tomatoes


As much as I want to deny, deny, deny, it is late August. And while I may pretend that the summer will go on and on my basil won't buy it so I thought I'd better make some pesto. I like mine cheesy and with walnuts, not pinenuts, so... here is my muggy summer night pasta recipe:

Serves 1

Ingredients:

1/2 c whole wheat penne pasta

for PESTO: (you will have pesto left over- yay!)
1 1/2 c fresh basil leaves (I used a mix of sweet basil and Italian flat leaf basil)
1 clove fresh garlic
1/4 c. walnuts
1/4 c. fresh grated parmesan cheese
juice of 1/4 lemon
1/4 c. olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

for TOMATOES:
5 grape tomatoes
2 t. lemon juice
1/2 t. minced garlic
1 1/2 T. olive oil
1/4 t. dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste

3 heaping T. ricotta cheese


1. Put basil, garlic, and walnuts in food processor (preferably mini). Pulse until coarsely chopped. Add lemon juice and parmesan. Pulse until combined. Add olive oil while processor is mixing in a steady stream. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside in separate bowl.

2. Rinse out processor. Put tomatoes, garlic, and lemon juice in processor. Pulse until tomato is very coarsely chopped. Add olive oil, mustard, and salt and pepper. Pulse again, just until mixed. Set aside in separate bowl.

3. Make pasta.

4. When pasta is done, put it in a bowl and mix 1/4 c. pesto (or to taste) and 3 heaping tablespoons of ricotta cheese though it. Top with tomato mixture. Enjoy.




I love Presto Pasta Night. You can see it here at: Once Upon A Feast

3 comments:

Ruth Daniels said...

It does look delicious, but please don't burst my bubble and tell me that summer is almost over!

Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights and for coming to the big six month celebration party.

Anonymous said...

I made it for dinner tonight because we had a bunch of basil and ricatto. Oh my -- it was YUMMY! Thank you for being so creative and coming up with this fun recipe. Bless you...

eve traetto said...

mmmm this is delish! I was trying to figure out a way to use up the basil pesto and the ricotta my mother in law gave me and this is perfect. I love the tomato concoction also...smells wonderful!