Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Pesto and Chevre Stuffed Squash Blossoms


I have been eying the zucchini plant-- yes the one surviving zucchini plant-- I gave my mother for months now. I'm amazing that it's living and that it has actually produced food, which in my family is incredible. However I have been stalking the blossoms. I keep hearing that squash blossoms are the IT food and I have been wanting to make some, but every time I come over the blossoms are too small or dying or some creature has beaten me to the punch and eaten them already. But today! At last, one lone male flower had clearly pollinated the females, and it was ready to pick! Yay!

Now, of course, I have NO IDEA what I'm doing, and as I tried to untwist and stuff the thing I tore it at least once (dammit!) and kept wishing I'd been born an elf or something else with nimble fingers. Apparently there are few things in this world that make you feel as oafish and clumsy as stuffing squash blossoms, and that includes walking into a room of fifteen year old fashion models. Squash blossoms have those waifish girls beat.

So here follows my adventure/recipe in making ONE stuffed squash blossom, which actually was pretty tasty. I really would like to make it again and try other fillings too. As long as I was alone in my kitchen when I did it. And maybe next time I'd wear heels.



Ingredients:

1 zucchini blossom
pesto
chevre
1-2 T. olive oil
1/4 t. garlic, minced
salt and pepper

1. Rinse off blossom and pat dry gently. Open blossom CAREFULLY and drop in a few crumblings of chevre and a little
(1/2t?) pesto. Wind blossom closed.

2. Heat up olive oil and garlic in a frying pan over medium heat.

3. Put blossom in pan, turning in direction you twisted the petals when you turn the flower. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until it seems done (2-3 minutes-ish).

4. Remove from pan. Enjoy the few bites!

1 comment:

Kay said...

I LOVE IT!

I am passing your blog on to my friends---adorable blog site.

thanks,

Kay