Thursday, August 30, 2007

Tortellini with Creamy Cranberry and Walnuts


Dinner, Day 2.

What happened to day 1, you ask? I was lazy/busy and I ended up having a corn muffin for dinner, as you do sometimes. Or at least, as I do sometimes.

Anyway, I poked around the kitchen and found some frozen cheese tortellini, Sarabeth's Cranberry Relish, a red onion, cream cheese, and some walnuts. I can work with this. Here's what I came up with:


serves 1

Ingredients:

1/3 c. tortellini
1 1/2 T. red onion, chopped
2 1/2 T. olive oil
2 heaping teaspoons of cranberry relish*
1 heaping teaspoon cream cheese
small handful of walnuts, pieces
salt
garlic powder
dried tarragon


1. Put water on to boil.

2. Heat up olive oil in small sauce pan over med-low to low heat. Add onion. Let cook until starting to get translucent. Add cranberry relish, stir with wooden spoon. Add a pinch of garlic powder, salt, and tarragon. Stir. Don't let mixture bubble.

3. When water boils, put tortellini in for directed time. Add walnuts to cranberry mixture and stir.

4. Take sauce pan off heat. Add cream cheese. Stir until melted and incorporated. When tortellinis are finished, strain them from water with a slotted spoon and put them directly into the cranberry mixture. Stir until they are covered.

5. Transfer to a bowl and enjoy.


*Sarabeth's Cranberry Relish lists cranberries, orange, and sugar as the ingredients, so you could probably use a homemade cranberry sauce and just add some orange zest.

You gotta love Presto Pasta Nights at Once Upon A Feast. They have me cooking pasta at the end of the week without even realizing I'm doing it.

1 comment:

Ruth Daniels said...

What an intriguing dish!!! I love it. Thanks so much for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights. I'm going on a hunt for cranberries as soon as I finish this!