Monday, September 24, 2007

Fried Green Tomatoes


I was at the farmer's market and had already paid for my goodies, when someone asked, into the air, "Does anyone know how to make fried green tomatoes?" No one answered, so I said, "No, but I bet you could find a recipe online." But then this idea stuck with me. I've never had or seen or tasted a fried green tomato but it now sounded so good, so I found a green tomato about the size of my fist, went home, flipped through some old copies of Bon Appetit and after some research I made up this recipe, which was also my lunch.

Serves 1-2

Ingredients:

1 green tomato

1/2 c. plain (non fat) yogurt
1 heaping t. mayo
5 drops of tabasco sauce
(kosher) salt
garlic powder
paprika
thyme

1 egg
milk

1/2 c. flour
1/4 c. cornmeal
garlic powder
(kosher) salt

1 T. butter
2 T. olive oil

1. Whisk together yogurt, mayo, tabasco in a bowl. Season with salt, garlic powder, paprika, and thyme to taste.

2. In a second bowl, whisk together the egg with a little bit of milk.

3. In a third bowl, mix together the flour and cornmeal. Season with garlic powder and salt.

4. Cut tomato in 1/2 inch slices. Dip in yogurt mixture first, coating. Then dip in egg mixture, coating. Finally the flour mixture, coating all sides. Do this to all slices.

5. Heat butter and oil over medium heat in a skillet. Add the tomato slices and let cook until browned on one side, about two minutes, then turn. Let cook another 2 to three minutes.

6. Remove from skillet, put on plate. Top with some of the yogurt mixture. Enjoy.

No comments: