Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Roasted Garlic and Herb Risotto



When I started this whole "Quantum Wellness" cleanse, I thought I would be starving. However, with a little creativity, I find I'm eating quite well. I made this risotto the other night, and while it was sans wine, cheese, butter, and cream (I know, I know...), it was rich and tasty enough to eat any day, regardless of any restrictions.

This recipe serves 1

Ingredients:

1/4 c. arborio rice (do not substitute)
vegetable stock (I got mine at Trader Joe's)
4 garlic cloves, skin on
fresh herbs
fresh lemon
olive oil
salt and pepper
soy milk (opt)


1. Preheat toaster oven to 350 degrees F. Place four cloves of garlic, skins on, on a sheet of tin foil. Drizzle with olive oil. Roast until very soft.



2. Take garlic out of skins. In either a processor or by hand, blend the garlic, fresh herbs (I used dill, lemon verbena, and savory), 1 T. of lemon juice, 1 1/2T olive oil, and S&P into a paste. Set aside.

3. Heat appx. 1 T. olive oil in a small sauce pan. Add rice and mix to coat. Keep mixing until rice is starting to turn translucent. Add enough stock to cover rice. Stir occasionally until stock is absorbed. Continue adding stock and stirring until absorbed until the rice is al-dente.

4. Once rice is almost tender, mix in the roasted garlic paste, a squeeze of lemon juice, and some S&P. You will need to add more stock at this time. Just keep adding a little at a time, continuously stirring until it's absorbed, and tasting to see if the rice is properly tender. The rice should be getting creamy.

5. Once the rice is cooked and creamy, turn off the heat. Mix in a splash of soy milk. Season with S&P, and lemon juice to taste. Serve immediately. Enjoy.

No comments: