Thursday, July 10, 2008

Angel Biscuits



I'm veering off a little, finding some great stuff to make on blogs and in books and wanting to write about it, so my blog is turning into a mix of both lately. Mostly it will continue to be just my recipes, though, not to worry.

I had some buttermilk in my fridge and was thinking about what to do with it, when I found this recipe at Ezra Pound Cake for Angel Biscuits from The Blue Willow Inn Bible of Southern Cooking, and had to make them.

Some notes:

I cut the recipe in half and I'm posting it below. It yielded 1 dozen small biscuits for me.

I substituted butter for shortening.

The original recipe says to use a biscuit cutter to cut the biscuits. I don't have one, so I used a white wine glass. But after carefully cutting out all the biscuits so they were perfect, the one that came out the best was the one I smooshed together free form out of the left over dough at the end, sort of rolling it in a ball and flattening it down. It came out fluffier and lighter than all the rest. When I make this recipe again, I'm going to form them all like that.

Ingredients:

2 c. flour
1/8 c. sugar
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 c. salted butter
1/2 package of yeast (1/8 oz)
1 t. warm water
1 c. buttermilk

1- Preheat oven to 475 F.

2- Sift flour, sugar, powder, and soda together. Cut in butter.

3- Stir yeast and water together in small bowl until yeast is a paste.

4- Stir buttermilk in with yeast in batches, making sure that yeast is dissolved into buttermilk.

5- Combine buttermilk mixture with dry ingredients. Mix until soft ball forms.

6- Place dough on well floured surface. Sprinkle dough with flour. Roll out to 1/4 inch thickness with floured rolling pin, cut out with biscuit cutter (or just free form it).

7- Place biscuits on buttered baking sheet (note: I didn't use butter, but a sheet of parchment instead, with no problems, and no burning of the bottoms). Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown (keep a good eye on them, they bake quickly).

8- Remove from oven, let cool on rack. Enjoy warm or cooled.

No comments: