Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Birthday Dinner Desserts



I don't usually write about other people's recipes, but I made two desserts for my birthday dinner that I really enjoyed, and wanted to share the sources:

Pistachio Petit Four Cake:

I found the recipe at Smitten Kitchen, but the recipe is from a book called Sky High: Irresistible Triple-Layer Cakes by Alisa Huntsman and Peter Wynne . The original recipe is for a three layer cake baked in 8" pans, but for my birthday I made a single layer cake and was able to skip odd measurements by using a 10" pan and cutting the recipe in half. I actually made the same cake as a double layer for my mom's birthday, and while it looks awesome it's a lot to eat, and I didn't want to be left with that much cake.



It's a pistachio cake with a layer of apricot preserves, a layer of marzipan, covered in chocolate ganache.

Pistachio Petit Four Cake Recipe


I also made Pistachio Ice Cream. The recipe is from Food and Wine Magazine, from an article about Jeni Britton, an artisan ice cream maker of Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream shops in Ohio.
I made a few changes: I didn't grind the pistachios that fine, and didn't strain them out. I left them to set in the ice cream. I also don't have an ice cream maker, so I used the stand and freeze method (whisk every half hour or so).

You can see the recipe here: Pistachio Ice Cream

No comments: