Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Papaya Sorbet



I am a luddite. To some degree anyway. I do not own a large number of gadgets, refuse to update my cell phone because the one I have still has analog signal (what if I want to call for help or pizza while camping?) and don't have a lot of kitchen appliances like deep friers, bread machines, or ice cream makers.

But it has been quite warm out lately, and there have been so many lovely recipes for homemade ice creams and sorbets all over the internet that I was just itching to make some myself. Unfortunately, after some point, the instructions all read: "follow the instructions on your ice cream maker"... is this something that every household has? Did I somehow miss this while buying my basic kitchen needs? Good knives, cutting boards, pots, pans, ice cream maker? There had to be another way.

I looked around and there were suggestions involving ziplock bags and coffee cans... mmm... I don't think so. So yeah, actually there is a way to make sorbet that does not involve shelling out a bunch of cash on an appliance you may only use three times and then wonder where to put it, and one that does not involve buying instant coffee or freezing your hands. Instead it involves a bowl, a whisk, and some time. Yay.

Papaya Sorbet:

makes appx 1 1/2 c.

Ingredients:

1 small papaya (yields appx 1 c. of puree)
1/4 c. sugar syrup (see below)
1 t. fresh lemon juice
juice of 1/2 lime

1. Half papaya, scoop out seeds and discard. Scoop out flesh, place in blender. Puree.

2. Add 1/4 c. sugar syrup, 1 t. lemon juice, and juice of 1/4 of lime to papaya puree in blender. Blend.

3. Pour mixture into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, place in freezer. About every half hour or so, for about 3-4 hours, take out and whisk. Let freeze 8 hours or overnight.

4. Eat and enjoy.

Sugar Syrup

this sugar syrup is Jeni Britton's recipe, of Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream (see full article at Food and Wine)
makes 3/4c.

1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. light corn syrup
1/4 c. water

In small saucepan, combine ingredients and bring to a boil. Cook over medium heat 'til sugar dissolves, appx 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Let cool, appx 30 minutes.


All the half hour intervals seem like a pain, and I guess you could time it with something that beeps, but it's not that precise. I made it in the evening and was watching TV and reading and stuff... who needs a timer, when you have sitcoms?

1 comment:

Audra Jensen said...

I just happen to have a Papaya in the frigy and need to use it. I will go home and do this tonight! Thanks! Oh, and for a twist - put in fresh grated ginger! Fantastic!