Tuesday, September 09, 2008
I've been wanting to make these for a long time, but it's one of those things I just keep forgetting about as soon as the idea pops into my head. But the other night I managed to remember it, and made my own little version of this simple to make but fancy looking potato dish.
2 red potatoes, peeled
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Slice a piece off the bottom of the potatoes so they sit flat. Using a sharp knife, carefully slice the potatoes, end to end, almost to the bottom, leaving the bottom in tact. (Slices should be about 1 cm wide).
3. Sprinkle potatoes with garlic, celery seed, and thyme, fanning carefully as you go, to allow spices to get in between.
4. Drizzle potatoes with a good gurgle of olive oil. Sprinkle with kosher salt.
5. Place in oven on baking sheet on parchment or aluminum foil. After half an hour, take out and put about 1/2 T. butter on each potato. They will be fanning out by now. The idea is to get the butter in between the slices.
6. Return potatoes to the oven for another 20 minutes to half an hour.
7. Take from oven. Let rest one minute. Serve and enjoy.